Saturday, September 13, 2008

February 17th, 2008 (sitting 'round waitin' on two pink lines)

Wow, where do I start? Will and I were currently living in Mustang, Ok at this time. It was the Sunday night before President's day, and my dearest and bestest friend of all Beverly Medcalf was living with us while doing a rotation there in the city. Things were great, but they would only get better. That Sunday for some unknown reason (unknown at the time anyways) I felt different. We were having a three day weekend, should be plenty of relaxing time, and let me tell you I was relaxing..... ALL the time. I couldn't stay awake. It was the weirdest thing. Well, a neighbor couple and Will and I had started a tradition of having Sunday dinner, the only thing that got me up and going that Sunday was knowing that it was my night to host dinner at the house. Beverly was not home from the hospital yet, and I had started dinner. Will had run to the grocery store to get the last few items for dinner and I went to the bathroom to take a quick shower and get cleaned up before our guests arrived. (Let me just make a side note and say that Will and I had been trying to get pregnant since August of 2007). Anyways, I was in the bathroom and I realized that I was a day late, and knowing that this was the first month that Will and I had been aware of every aspect of my cycle this month, I had this feeling that the chances were good. However, in the back of my mind I thought that I had invested a small fortune in pregnancy tests over the past 7 months, so I would not be surprised if there were not two pink lines this time as well. On the 13th of February I had taken an early detection test waited the alotted amount of time and there was no second line. Hmmmm, not surprising I thought, but oh well, this has been going on for 7 months. Well, for some unknown reason instead of discarding the test, I put it back on top of my bathroom cabinet. (gross I know!) So on Sunday the 17th while in the bathroom, I decided on a whim to take the last of the tests that I had in the cabinet. (I really like peeing money down the drain I guess, ha, I thought to myself.) So I sat down and did my little thing, proceeded to put it on top of the bathroom cabinet so it would rest flat as usual and felt the other one (from 4 days prior) there. I took it down and replaced it with the newly taken test and took a glance at the old test before I threw it away in the trash. Well, crazily enough I saw the faintest pink line on that early test, but thought well, that's just because I let it sit for four days, it can't be yes. (While reading this you may be thinking this has been a long process, but peeing on the new stick and putting it up to wait the time, and looking at the old one to throw it away, took all of about 1 minute. You have to wait 3 minutes or so...... so they say. So I am kind of having these thoughts like, oh my gosh, what if it really worked this time?? No it couldn't have worked......etc. I get in the shower and wet my hair (probably at about the 2 minute mark now) and I think Ican't wait anymore, I'll just take a look and see......... To what did my wondering eyes did I see?!?!??!?? TWO PINK LINES STARING BACK AT ME. HOLY CRAP! I thought. Then I grabbed that little bar in the shower to steady myself......... I thought I was going to fall over. My legs were shaking. I was ecstatic, shocked, scared, in disbelief, everything all at once. I know I'm still home alone, but I also know that I'm supposed to host a dinner party and act as if nothing out of the ordinary is going on..... how in the HECK am I supposed to do that. I was hoping that Will would get home before the guests arrive so I could tell him....... I rush to finish my shower because I figure it's safer if I am on dry land. I'm in my bath towel and I hear the front door open. I run out of the bathroom fling the bedroom door open and met Beverly in my bath towel, (okay, sooooo not Will). So Beverly instantly questions the stupid grin I have on my face and why I am acting so weird, I just say something like, just excited for the company tonight. (Even though I don't think she bought it!) I go back to the room and my head is spinning with thoughts. "How am I going to Will?" I always told myself that I would tell him in some cool way, but at this point in time all my ideas have left me, and all I want to do is show him the test and jump up and down. I throw on some clothes because it is now time for me to compose myself and host a dinner party. The guests arrive before Will does (just my luck). I'm thinking, okay it's a three day weekend for everyone, we could be up for awhile, I just want everyone to eat and leave so I can tell Will that he's going to be a dad. Will finally shows up (I say finally like he was gone forever, but it was probably like 30 minutes :) ) We eat dinner (I have no idea what I cooked.....) We got dinner cleaned up and everyone sat up til around 10:45 pm, Beverly was tired and ready to get ready for bed, our guests were debating on rather to stay and play Scene It, or go home..... I'm thinking, I love you guys but please go home...... lucky one of the guests had a call of nature, the kind that you don't want to do when you are a guest in someone's home when your home is right down the street. So they decided to call it a night. YES! So it's finally time! Will is laying on the coach watching something on the History channel, I go to the bedroom get the test (the new one that was bright pink WAY before the time was up) and I walk into the living room and stick it in front of Will's face (I know not exactly the cool way to tell him that I was hoping for, but I had kind of lost my mind) He takes the stick and studies it for what seems like a lifetime (around 10 seconds........it was like something out of a movie, you actually hear the clock ticking in your head you know?) He turns to me and I know I have a goofy grin, and in what is classic for my husband looks at me with a smile on his face and says, "Who's is this?" I start laughing, and say, "what do you mean who's is this? It's mine, you crazy!" He starts dieing laughing. (Some women might get offended at this, but after knowing my husband for a collection of 5 years, I know that he laughs hysterically when he is happy, (obviously) and when he is scared to death) He looks at me after his little guffaw and says are you serious? are you serious? and I shook my head, he gets off the couch hugs me and we are laughing so loudly that beverly comes out of her room and says what is going on, Will had the stick and waved it and said, well, he just jumped and waved the stick....... Bev started going crazy and we had a mini-jump-a-thon right there in the hall by her bedroom. We immediately want to call everyone in the world and tell them our news, but we realize that it is 11:30 now and our news can wait til the morning. So we decide to go to bed......... I don't think either of us fell asleep til around 3:00 am.... if that. We just laid there and thought about how our life had changed in a matter of a few minutes, and how happy we were about it. We knew the next day would be a great day as we shared the news with family and friends.



Thank goodness there is no more sittin' round waitin on two pink lines, at least not for a few years anyway.

0 comments: